Printed from: www.grandmotherskitchen.net
Makes: 8 Servings
2 Tablespoons butter
1 large cooking onion (chopped)
2 (796ml) jars sauerkraut (we used Kuhne brand which is a German product) you can use your favorite *each can is 796mLs
* NOTE - one jar would be enough, but we love sauerkraut and so used 2 jars.
8-10 medium to large russet potatoes (washed, peeled and cut into 2-3 inch cubes)
6-8 precooked turkey sausages (we used a brand from a local butcher, you can choose your favorite sausage
sour cream (optional but tastes great served with the meal)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Have ready a 9X13 baking dish or if you have a big Dutch oven you can use that.
3. In a large skillet, melt the butter on low heat, add the onions and cook for a few minutes over medium heat, stirring, until the onions are transparent and soft.
4. Add the jars of sauerkraut and stir into the onions.
5. Place the chopped potato pieces into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
6. Spread the sauerkraut onion mixture over the potatoes.
7. Chop the sausage into 2 inch chunks and arrange on top.
8. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for one hour.
9. You can precook this meal a day ahead as it gets even tastier when it sits and refrigerate.
10. Reheat at 425 degrees F. for about 30 minutes or until heated throughout.