Printed from: www.grandmotherskitchen.net
Makes 8 Servings
4 cups cooked rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 large sized white onion, diced
1 small cabbage, 2 cups worth shredded, that has been frozen and thawed
2 cups sauerkraut
2 cups stewed tomatoes
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1. You will need an oven proof baking dish. Choose a size that will hold the quantity being cooked.
2. Cook the rice first. Set aside. We used Basmati rice, you can use any rice you like.
3. Dice the onions.
4. Melt the butter in a small frying pan, add the onions and cook until tender. Shut off.
5. Cut the cabbage into small shreds. Keep the pieces really small.
6. Measure 4 cups rice into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and pepper and stir in.
7. Add the cooked onions and shredded cabbage to the rice mixture and stir to combine evenly.
8. Measure 2 cups of stewed tomatoes into a tall measuring cup. Add the 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Whiz with a hand immersion blender to smooth.
9. Pour half of the tomato sauce into the bottom of your oven proof dish.
10. Make a layer of the cabbage and rice mixture.
11. Make a layer of sauerkraut using all the sauerkraut.
12. Use the remaining rice mixture for the top layer and pour on the rest of the tomato sauce. Use a wooden spoon to spread the tomato sauce evenly.
13. Cover and place into the preheated oven on the middle rack. Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees F. then turn the oven down to 325 degrees F. and bake another 30 minutes. Long baking time will make the cabbage nice and tender.
14. Remove from the oven and you can serve immediately or if you are preparing in advance to cook later, let cool for 30 minutes before you refrigerate. Never leave food longer than 2 hours to cool because bacteria will start to form.
15. To reheat, set the oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle a about 1/4 cup water on the top to add moisture, cover and reheat 25-35 minutes. Check to be sure the food has heated throughout before serving. Times will vary with different ovens and elevations. Great on its own or you can serve with sour cream.